Diversity and Corporate Social Responsibility
Passionate… we believe that candidates from a variety of backgrounds with different styles, perspectives, values and beliefs are assets to an organisation. Diversity is still considered by some as an alternative approach to recruitment, a “business case,” so to speak. The Housing Executive naturally embrace and nurture difference and have always welcomed traditionally underrepresented groups.
Proud… at our ‘Diversity Health Check’ audit each year, we have successfully retained the Equality Assured accreditation from the Recruitment and Employment Confederation. Our commitment recognised with one auditor commenting: “diversity is an integral part of their company ethos”.
Proactive… we have worked closely with Race for Opportunity (RFO), the campaign from Business in the Community to develop good practice models in recruiting. RFO is committed to improving employment opportunities for ethnic minorities across the UK. It is the only race diversity campaign that has access to and influence over the leaders of the UK’s best known organisations including KPMG, HSBC, BT, EY, The Home Office and The Equality and Human Rights Commission. Download the guide on diverse recruitment.
Practice… we monitor all aspects of our recruitment process as a means to eliminate discrimination. Through evaluation, any imbalances found are addressed and acted upon and we actively seek to identify diverse candidate pools. We will not discriminate against or treat unfairly any individual on the grounds of their: age, disability, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, political beliefs, spent convictions, or membership/non-membership of a Trade Union. We place an obligation upon all staff to respect and act in accordance with this policy. We have an unequivocal commitment to the principle and operation of equality in terms of how we deliver the best recruitment service to our clients and candidates, and in how we support our own staff.
- Opportunity Now and Race for Opportunity
- Race for Opportunity ‘Aspiration and Frustration’ research
- Employers Network for Equality and Inclusion
- Business Disability Forum
- Equality and Human Rights Commission
- Government Equalities Office
- Press for Change
- Recruitment and Employment Confederation
- See also The Stonewall Lesbian, Gay & Bisexual Recruitment Guide 2010/11 startingoutguide.org.uk
Corporate Social Responsibility
We are committed to open and transparent business practices that are based upon respect for employees, communities and the environment. For example:
- Director sits on the Diversity Forum of the Recruitment and Employment Confederation
- Promoting responsible behaviour in the supply chain and in our own processes
- Member of Cyclescheme – providing bikes for employees through independent bike shops
- Enabling employees to commit to charitable initiatives with paid time off
- Sponsoring and fundraising, including half marathons, London to Brighton cycling and other activities benefiting Unicef, Freedom From Torture and TEDx
- Current staff volunteer with a Hackney Night Shelter, Terrence Higgins Trust and Young Enterprise
- Annual donation to Shelter and sending their Christmas cards for a number of years
- Gold Standard for recycling (almost 100% of office waste, including printer cartridges, 1000 kilos recycled, 6 trees saved since 2013)
- Company membership for Barclays Cycle Hire Scheme reducing the use of vehicles for short journeys
- Fairness, respect and integrity is at the core of our relations with candidates and clients
We believe that actions taken by businesses today will collectively affect future generations, particularly in their approach to the environment.